Draw and a pair, how should i have played it  

RSS

crance99
(@crance99)
Eminent Member
September 20, 2017 10:56 pm  

Good Morning

Over the last week or 2 my game has been sputtering. I have been running into a lot of Aggro's at the table. They have been knocking me off draws and hands so i have been getting gun shy. I play a TAGish style, but my weakness is not willing to go all in much on draws. Can everyone give me some insight on how they might play this hand. 

https://play.globalpoker.com/poker-client/poker/10/hand/59c3aae1ea70cd32abe68af5

I think the turn i should have raised all in.

ReplyQuote
Alton - MicroGrinder Poker
(@microgrinder)
Member Admin
September 21, 2017 2:36 pm  

At 50nl, I'd recommend min-raising on the BTN to give you a better risk to reward ratio with the weaker portion of your BTN opening range.

As played, folding pre or calling the small 3-bet is fine.

How you play post-flop is entirely dependent on your reads and notes on villain. What reads and notes do you have on him?

ReplyQuote
crance99
(@crance99)
Eminent Member
September 21, 2017 10:43 pm  

The villain was was being aggro. By this hand i had been on the table for 2 hours and people were getting very aggro with me. Up to this point nothing was hitting for me st8, flushes, over-cards, hitting the flop. people were over betting me to get me to fold all the time. I was being priced out from called most draws. It was one of those nights. I did end up hitting a hand and doubled up from another aggro's aggression. I just could't put him on a hand. Was this a play because of my messed up raise, in that case the flop hit him and i might be ahead. 2 overs and i'm still good, or an over pair in which i have a lot of outs. Nothing was hitting and i got gun shy on the turn. When ever i did bet the turn or river most everyone folded.

ReplyQuote
Alton - MicroGrinder Poker
(@microgrinder)
Member Admin
September 22, 2017 7:30 am  

My recommendation on Global Poker is to take active notes on your opponents. By 2 hours of play, you should have some notes on things such as you're opponent's 3-betting range and if its polarized or depolarized, if they're c-betting air or not, what a pot-sized c-bet means, what type of ranges they're 3 barreling, etc. Rather than labeling them as aggro take notes on specific lines they're taking. 

For example, here's some questions to help devise good notes: Was this the first time villain 3-bet you or other people at the table? If so, be weary of his 3-bet. if not, what did he 3-bet them with? How often did he pot-size c-bet? If he did it a lot, what types of hands did he have? How often did he triple barrel and what hands did he triple barrel?

The way you played the hand, it appears you put villain on air/a draw with your flopped top pair and the gutshot straight draw. As played, you probably should call the river when you call flop and turn and villain's range doesn't improve on the river. There are lots of missed flush and straight draws that will bluff the river on this board. And you're getting ~28% pot odds to call the river jam.

ReplyQuote
Share: