Dusti Johnson's Poker Progess Blog  

RSS

dustijohnson
(@dustijohnson)
April 26, 2017 11:34 pm  

Micro Stakes Blog

Introduction:

Hi, my name is Dusti Johnson. I am relatively new to poker. I have friends that like to play small tournaments at their houses but I never went. I never knew much about poker other than the hand rankings and that you can check, raise, or fold. I have always wanted to learn how to be a good poker player but never actually set out to do so.  Something triggered me this month and I decided I want to be a profitable poker player that can win online micro stakes and small cash games and tournaments with my friends. Currently, I am a college student studying finance. I want to be an analyst and trade in the stock and futures market. I dabble in forex with play money and have spent the past year learning trading strategies and psychologies.

I just started the Crush Micro Stakes Online Poker course and plan to track my progress as I work through it and apply what I learn to my actual game. In this blog, I plan on tracking and providing my monthly and overall results along with any hand history reviews I do. Rather than set a goal based on results (like having a +xx/100) I want to focus on making +EV decisions and little to no mistakes in each session. I would like to create a plan of how many games to play a week and for how long to play each game, but with school and finals approaching I find it hard to do that just yet. May will be a busy month for me, but towards the end of May and beginning of June I will write down a specific goal and schedule that covers what nights I will study poker, what nights I will play poker, and when I will do my hand history reviews. I will be tracking my progress here the whole time and by the end of the year I will be a profitable poker player.

I will be being playing mostly 5NL on Ignition. As my skill improves I may move up in stakes. I mentioned earlier that I started playing poker this month. Below are my results thus far:

As you can see I have much to learn! Please leave comments and I look forward to my next post.

results4_27_17

ReplyQuote
dustijohnson
(@dustijohnson)
April 28, 2017 11:31 pm  

Well, today is the 29th and I just finished my Saturday morning session. The negative variance is killing me right now. I had a few hands that I got sucked out on, or at least I think I did. I feel like I played these right for the most part but, of course, I’m still a beginner.

First hand:

iPoker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: $5.02 (VPIP: 15.38, PFR: 15.38, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)

BTN: $5.43 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB: $7.32 (VPIP: 29.41, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)

Hero (BB): $4.93

UTG: $0.81 (VPIP: 77.78, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 13.33, Hands: 18)

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has  T:club: T:diamond:

UTG calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, BTN calls $0.05, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG raises to $0.81, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.51

So UTG has been playing a super wide range since he sat down. I’ve seen him show up at showdown with: TT, T8s, 98o, 63s, T5o, and 33. My equity to these cards (looking at Equilab) is 76% in favor for me. I have been waiting for a decent hand to stack him with and I felt this was a good one to do it with before someone else got his money.

Flop: ($1.74, 2 players)  9:heart: A:club: K:diamond:

Turn: ($1.74, 2 players)  7:diamond:

River: ($1.74, 2 players)  4:heart:

UTG shows  Q:diamond: K:club:  (One Pair, Kings)

UTG wins $1.66

Of course, he would show up with KQo. That's just negative variance though and I knew if I was patient I would get my chance again. Literally, the next hand Mr. Fish got stacked by another player. Mr. Fish had T5o and the other player won with the nut straight. It’s always sad to see a fish go but even more so when you never got a bite.

My second hand:

Now this hand, I’m not sure if I played it right or not. I feel like I did..

iPoker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $5.04 (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 21.05, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)

CO: $6.79 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)

BTN: $7.13 (VPIP: 26.09, PFR: 13.04, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 23)

Hero (SB): $4.95

BB: $5.76 (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has  9:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

A bit speculative but I’ve been playing pretty tight (mostly because I have been getting junk hole cards) so I figured I’d play this hand before I left the session.Also, I feel like the Villain was just trying to steal and is likely to have a weak range.

Flop: ($0.45, 3 players)  9:spade: 6:diamond: 9:heart:

Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32, fold

Holy smokes! I flopped a set. At this point I feel I have the best hand, which I did. The only problem is my two nines are on the board and not my hand.

Turn: ($1.09, 2 players)  Q:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.84, Hero raises to $1.68, BTN raises to $6.13, Hero calls $2.80

So now, I think I have this guy. I mean I just made a full-house. That pretty good, right? Now I’m worried my check-raise will scare him away. I’m hoping he will have a Q in his hand and maybe he will think he has me beat. Then he stacks me. I figure this is my moment. Finally, I can bring some chips home from this session.

River: ($10.05, 2 players)  5:spade:

BTN shows  Q:heart: Q:club:  (Full House, Queens full of Nines)

BTN wins $11.20

Yup, he had the better full house. Go figure, right? I’m not sure what to take away from this. I feel I played it well. I realize the problem with this hand was that my set was made from the two nines on the board which helped him out.

So, this is my last session for the month. I will be starting fresh next month. I plan on it being a positive month. My big drop in my c-won was from bad variance mixed with tilt. Next month I will manage my tilt better not letting negative variance generate more losses than it already does.

One of the pictures below is this session, the other is the entire month. This is my first month playing online, and really, my first month getting into poker. I’ve learned a lot so far and can’t wait to improve my skills.

My_Currency_Won_in_USD_4_29_17_ses1 My_Currency_Won_in_USD_APRIL2017

ReplyQuote
Alton - MicroGrinder Poker
(@microgrinder)
Member Admin
April 30, 2017 2:59 pm  

Nice blog! Seen there are lurkers, but not replies so I'll be the first. Glad to have you here and best of luck with your journey to poker success. I hope you are enjoying my course and am looking forward to following your blog.

Regarding your two posted hands. TT all-in pre versus the short-stack limp/jam is pretty standard. We expect to be in a coin-flip situation a lot here. The Q9 vs QQ hand, you should either be a 3-bet or fold most of the time. As played, post-flop its a cooler.

Regarding your graph, your red line looks to be a bit high. Pay attention to it because it can get you in trouble being to aggressive at 5nl. I recommend posting some hands you played aggressively that didn't go to showdown to get a better idea of this.

Anyways, best of luck and hope the best with your poker journey!

ReplyQuote
Share: