Important Forum Announcement

Notice: Due to a website error, I had to revert to a backup of the forum, so some user accounts and posts were unfortunately deleted. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Building Ranges
April 18, 2017
5:08 am
EdgeOfReality
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am working on building different ranges. Right now I am thinking about the correct range for calling a Preflop raise. In this the raise is coming from UTG (6 max game) and I will have position and both blinds are going to fold. I am using a 1/2bb for the SB and 1bb for the BB and UTG raises 3bb. So I have 3/7.5 or 40% pot odds.

UTG’s raising range is 12.97% (55+,ATs+,A5-A4s,KTs+QTs+J9s+T9-87s,AJo+KQo).
My calling range vs UTG is 7.39% (QQ-66,AQ-ATs,KQ-98s,AK-AQo)
My 3 bet range here is going to be, AA-KK,AKs so they are not listed in the calling range.

This gives me hand equity of 50.99%. My question is: with a 40% pot odds percentage, how high of a hand equity percentage should I be looking for in my calling range? The reason for my question is even though my calling range has 51% equity, some of the individual 2 card hands can have as low as (87s – {35.74%}) and 66 only has 44.37%. Do I need to have all 2 card combinations to have a percentage higher than the 40% pot odds percentage? And if so about what percentage should I be trying for?

I realize that even though the raise is from UTG, I need to take in consideration of player type but for now I am just looking to work a generic version of ranges while I learn more about it. Still it will give me some time working with Equilab and hopefully understand ranges better for it.

April 18, 2017
11:04 pm
Alton - MicroGrinder Poker
Admin
Forum Posts: 269
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Pre-flop, you don’t need to base your calling range based solely upon pot odds. In fact, I don’t base my calling range based solely upon pot odds because there are a lot of other important factors to consider as well.

In regards to hands that technically have enough equity to call based upon pot odds, also factor reverse implied odds. A good example if ATs. While you list that UTG will open A4-A5 suited, I doubt the entire playing pool opens that wide UTG. Most will open AJ+ and sometimes AT; so AT suffers from reverse implied odds due to its kicker issue.

Look at stack depth and implied odds. Your example of 87s would play really well deep-stacked but not a hand we’d want to call all the time with smaller SPRs. Same goes from small pocket pairs such as 44. If UTG had a 70BB stack, we would muck these hands, but if effective stack sizes were 200BB, its an easy call.

Also, consider how well you play post flop with a wide variety of hands. We can call wider if we have a post-flop skill edge, but we might want to tighten up our ranges if we don’t expect to have a post-flop skill edge.

Technically a 50.68% calling range has 40.2% equity versus a 13.57% opening range…but we wouldn’t want to call with such a wide range because such a wide range will definitely not be profitable even though certain hands in that calling range has 40%+ equity versus certain hands in the UTG’s RFI range:. What I’m getting at here is don’t focus too much on the equity aspect of calling ranges alone but instead think of it holistically.

UTG RFI Range: 55+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, AJo+, KQo

50.68% Range that has 40.2% Equity versus UTG RFI Range: 33+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J4s+, T6s+, 96s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, A2o+, K5o+, Q7o+, J7o+, T7o+, 98o

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 34

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Siego7: 91

crance99: 40

superunkn0wn: 39

Markku: 36

simonL: 36

thrilaras7: 21

frogmoreace: 14

Roachz: 11

leverettjl: 8

RandomRivers: 7

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 191

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 31

Topics: 206

Newest Members:

spiderm4n, t0tg4, ElBand1t0, StudentoftheGame, HunHef, Stephengut, catchsteve, benguela, sailorllc, diegodoss2412

Moderators: regitime: 10

Administrators: Alton - MicroGrinder Poker: 269