Question about open calling range on website  

RSS

Bushstar
(@bushstar)
May 11, 2017 5:30 pm  
Looking at the diagrams for open calling ranges in the image below, it shows that the BTN open calling range is smaller than CO and SB. Is this correct as my understanding is that the BTN will have the widest calling range?

Open Calling Ranges

The above image came from the page below.

ReplyQuote
Alton - MicroGrinder Poker
(@microgrinder)
Member Admin
May 13, 2017 12:12 pm  

Hi, I'm get this question a lot and its because most people don't read the narrative above the ranges:

When I say “UTG” Open Calling Range, I am providing a starting point range of hands you can call an open raise from UTG. The same goes for MP, CO, BTN, and SB. So MP Open Calling Range is not the hands you should call from MP, but the hands you can call from an open raise from MP. This is the same for my 3-betting ranges. So please don’t get this mixed up because it can be a bit confusing if you mis-read the diagrams.

Regarding calling an open-raise from the BTN, you will be calling from the SB or BB. That is why we are calling less overall than if "in general" we called a raise from the CO because sometimes we'll be on the BTN (in position) and sometimes in the blinds.

This is by no means a comprehensive discussion of calling ranges, but just a primer.

ReplyQuote
Share: